My Astropad second screen setup

Since Luna is fully funded (with my help :wink: ) I can now share the way I’ve been using Astropad for months now.

I bought a display emulator. Its basically a hdmi connector, that fools the hardware into thinking a display is connected - therefore you can use this screen with Astropad. This is exactly what Luna will do and it’s still hardware accelerated, works wireless and of course no black borders.

Luna will obviously have some kind of software to change the resolution and display automatically - but you only have to do it once manually with this hdmi connector. Changing Astropad to the second screen is a little bit tricky but it works perfectly.

If you guys have questions - go ahead.

Heres an Amazon Link:

So for those of you, who don’t want to wait until may 2018 - just try it out and its cheap.

Hi! That is exactly my setup, my question is how do you change the resolution for it to be 1:1 on the iPad?
I use SwitchResX but lately I’v been noticing that performance is not as good as it used to be before I started to use this setup but not sure if it only in my imagination.
I was curious if Luna had any advantage over a simple hdmi dummy besides the easy of use and asked on the Kickstarter and they ignore it. Any how, I do recomes trying this setup, it works really nice!

I hope Luna will have some kind of scaled resolution thats works perfect with the retina displays in the iPads.

Here is a Screenshot directly taken on the iPad:

With my described setup I’m using 1344x1008 with my 12.9 iPad with fullscreen setting in Astropad. The perfect resolution would be 1366x1024. I could use SwitchResX to create this exact resolution, but I don’t think its worth it.

I have been using this set up for months as well, and I use Switch Res X to change the emulated screen resolution to be perfect retina resolution with the iPad. Works great, but I am very interested to see if Luna works better, being fully integrated with Astropad.

Perhaps someone at AstroHQ can chime in and elaborate on what the differences between the two are.

I hope they will but they may be to busy on the Kickstarter campaign to pay attention right now to the forums, plus if there is not really a difference beside it having the native resolution for the iPad Pro in retina and maybe other iOS devices is posible that some of the backers may retract (I won’t if Luna became compatible with windows as they seam to be teasing on Kickstarter, even if they don’t port Astropad because solutions like Duet for windows don’t seams to work as good as atropad have doing it for me on windows).

Even if it works the same as one of these headless adapters, it will still eliminate the need to use software that gives the emulated display the proper resolution for the iPad, and the need for something like splash top to tell Astropad to display the emulated display. So no matter what it slims down the steps and software required to use one of these headless adapters. I already pledged for Luna, and definitely plan on keeping it regardless.

Thanks for supporting our Luna Kickstarter! It’s been incredibly exciting and humbling to see how much support we’ve gotten.

To answer some of your questions:

• Yes, Luna will support all the native iPad screen resolutions. No more black bars!
  • Luna will also allow Retina resolutions on Macs that can support it
  • Luna is tightly integrated with Astropad Standard and Astropad Studio so its plug and play!

So with Luna you can expect a smooth second screen experience out of the box for Astropad, no fiddling, customizing or 3rd party utilities required.

We are never too busy for our Astropad community :wink:

That is really good to hear!
on the kickstarter comments someone said this:

“There are a lot of differences. Luna is a completely different design. To name some points: Luna can drive a 12.9 iPad Pro at 60fps Full Retina resolution. No ghost display adapter can do that. Enable true Retina resolution it’s really hard to do we spent 9 months of R&D only on this. Luna also makes sure the display is active only when an iPad is connected, that way there is never a ghost screen lingering around. Also Luna allows us to change resolution automatically depending on screen orientation… a “ghost display adapter” is just not very smart, Luna is clever cat ;-)”

Those are some really nice features and definitely keeping my pledge, the part of keeping the display only active when there is an iPad is really nice.

I really like what I’m reading and really happy I helped funding Luna. I just hope the time passes quickly until I can test it myself.

I love the idea that Luna is only active when the iPad is connected, and can change depending on screen orientation. Those are some seriously cool features.

I sent an email, but I imagine you guys are busy, so if it’s easier to shoot a quick answer here…

If I already have a multi-monitor setup, does Luna offer any performance benefits over Astropad on a real monitor?

I would assume there isn’t an encoder chip built into Luna, but there is a lot of talk about full screen applications and 60fps, and at least for me, Astropad only does one or the other at a time, as well as not being able to use with a dongle.

And if not, any possibility of a dongle that could give something closer to Nvidia GameStream’s performance using extra hardware?

You should expect performance to be a better when Luna comes out, because our underling Liquid technology will be better in 9 months. However it is not going to be a radical chance. Your peek performance is still limited by what your Mac can do. Luna does not add a graphic card (ie GPU) to your Mac, but uses your Mac GPU like a true second screen.

Hi one question.
Would Luna work with both the Standard and Studio versions of astropad?

The Kickstarter page says it works with both standard and studio versions of Astropad.

I am a digital painter using ArtRage. I seem to be missing something here with regards to Luna. I use Astropad on my iPad Mini which is wifi connected to my MacBook Air. The Macbook Air running the ArtRage software is connected to an Apple Cinema Display via a mini display port / vga adapter. I have the Cinema Display screen to look at while I paint with my finger or stylus on the iPad screen.

How exactly would Luna improve my process?

Thanks for clarifying!

@donart Please check out our post here - http://blog.astropad.com/using-luna/
We’ve recently put together more information addressing this question
of how Luna Display works with Astropad :slight_smile:

I tried doing this, but can’t seem to move the astropad window to the other “screen”. any tips?

You need to use another Remote Desktop app, such as Splashtop, to mirror the ghost display, and use it to click on Astropad’s little “use this display” button that is on that display. Then return to Astropad, and it will be mirroring the ghost display.

It isn’t the most convenient option, and is part of what makes Luna so great as it will work seamlessly with Astropad. But it is a decent workaround for now until Luna is available.

thanks, managed to get tings working :slight_smile: