Luna Display vs Headless HDMI?

Is the Luna display just a headless dongle?

I can’t wait to january 2019. I have a mac mini that I don’t have a screen connected to and need a solution:/
I found out that the trick with mac minis as a remote desktop server is to buy one of these headless hdmi dongle .
How are they compared to the LUNA display dongle?

Yes, Luna will work with the Mac Mini setup, more info on system requirements, here: https://lunadisplay.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions

Luna Display has some feature of headless dongles, but is different design.

Luna can drive a 12.9 iPad Pro at 60 fps full Retina resolution, and what sets it apart is having both hardware and software working together.

The Luna hardware lets it harness the Mac’s graphics processing power and allow the Mac to recognize Luna as a true second display. The software side allows communication via WiFi or USB connection.

Lunda display vs Headless HDMI

The main reason to get a Luna Display vs headless HDMI is that Luna Display will support an iPad’s native resolution directly while headless HDMI does not. @Malyse is being a bit disingenuous in implying that a headless HDMI adapter won’t make use of your GPU’s acceleration - as far as the Mac is concerned, a headless HDMI adapter is a monitor and it will take advantage of the GPU just fine (while letting you connect via Apple Remote Desktop or Screen Sharing or whatever).

If you want to use an iPad as the display, Luna Display is great, but if you’re just sharing your screen to another computer you’ll want a headless HDMI dongle. As far as I can tell, Luna Display won’t even activate without the iPad app running.