How do I get mac Retina resolution on the iPad Pro?

I have a 2010 Mac Pro. I do not have a Retina screen. When I use Astropad, the iPad screen is always pixelated due to scaling the Mac’s resolution up to the iPad Retina display.

However, I’ve used iPad / 2nd screen apps in the past where my mac screen on the iPad is indeed Retina.

Is this possible with Astropad? If not, why not?

Thanks!

PS - I’ve tested Astropad at work, where I have a 5K iMac, and the iPad mirrors the Retina screen perfectly.

Astropad mirrors your display, so if it is not retina, Astropad wont display retina.

We dont do 2nd display, we looked into it, but because of OS X limitation we cannot make it fast enough and with high quality imaging.

Hi there.

I have a 2010 Mac Pro, as well, with dual 2560x1440 monitors (so effectively 5120x1440).

I’m trying to determine what to expect if I use AstroPad on an iPad Pro?

Thanks in advance.

You will be to choose which monitor to mirror on your iPad Pro. What you will see on your iPad Pro is what you see on your screen. You can either work full screen, or select a section of the screen.
Any more specific questions?

Thank you for the quick response Giovanni!

Since the iPad Pro resolution is 2732 x 2048, do I understand correctly, that I will nominate a portion of the iPad Pro screen to match the resolution of my Mac?

Also, since the iPad Pro has a different aspect ratio to Mac’s screen, how would full screen work?

Thanks.

You can pick the region of the Mac with a selection UI. See image below. if the screen ratio is not the same we will fill it with black and center your Mac screen into the iPad

You can get retina output on a none retina back by doing a couple things.

Enable HiDPI on your non-retina Mac.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

Reboot.

If using Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), turn off SIP. You can use SwitchResX to do this or boot into retina mode and an in the terminal run:

csrutil disable

Use SwitchResX to create a normal scaled resolution. For iPad Pro create a scaled resolution of 1366 x 1024.

Duplicate that resolution and create a full size res of 2732 x 2048. This will create a spin off HiDPI resolution of 1366 x 1024 HiDPI 3:4.

Save. Reboot.

Open SwitchResX preferences. Click the Launch Daemon button. You can then access the HiDPI res in its Menu Bar app:

I do have a MacBook Pro with a Retina display, but i don’t get the Retina Resolution on my iPad Pro. 1280x960 is the maximum.

First boot up the Mac in recovery mode (Cmd-R at boot up). From there open the terminal and run this command:

csrutil disable

From that point on, you need to do use SwitchResX to add the proper scaled resolutions necessary which will create the 1366x1024 HiDPI res. This is explained in this thread and in more detail in the Pixel 1:1 ratio thread. Just search for SwichResX on this site and you should have the info you need to pull this trick off.

SwitchResX trial may no longer work as it only lasts 10 days. Full version is $15.

Once you successfully add 1366 x 1024 and 2732 x 2048 scaled resolutions for your Display using SwitchResX. Save and reboot. It will create the coveted 1366 x 1025 HiDPI Res which will be available in the SwitchResX Daemon & automatically in Astropad on the iPad Pro. For Retina Macs, this custom res will only be available in the SwitchResX Daemon (Menu App).

Using Mac Pro 9.9 inches power CYLINDER THIS ENGINE DRIVE 4K TO ASTROPAD TO NEXT LEVEL. SO nOT HAVING YOUR HQRDWARE IS INTERESTING TO SAY YES ON MY SIDE 4K IS OUTTANDING.

Hey, guys!
Tried to create 2732 x 2048 scaled resolution on my iMac 27 (mid 2010 with native resolution 2560x1440) in SwitchResX, but it is not working, not active after reboot.
Is it possible to create this resolution on lower resolution screen of my Mac? I miss something?

Same here with my Macbook Pro 15 Late 2011. I did all the steps and, when I did the last reboot the major resolution is not working not active and 1366x1024 not shows de HiDPI option. I contacted the creator and says that my MacBook doesn’t support 2372x2048 resolution. I guess, but the point of this software is simulate it, isn’t it? What we can do? Any help? Thanks

I think Apple is blocking what can run HiDPI now. I am literally running into the same issues with Macs older than 2013 on High Sierra. But Macs new than 2012 seems to have more options than you can shake a stick at now.

I have a 2010 Mac Pro, as well, with dual 2560x1440 monitors (so effectively 5120x1440).

I’m trying to determine what to expect if I use AstroPad on an iPad Pro?

Lenovo Laptop Keyboard Not Working