Drawing issues with Astropad using Photoshop CC18

I am trying to rotoscope on layers over a film. Having very little luck:
• Almost no ability to draw detail because the pen lags so much I can’t tell what it’s drawing. It’s very spotty.
• I try to draw in one area and I get nothing, then move to the middle and can draw a line. What gives?
I am using Astropad on a iPad 5th Gen 2017 9.7" with an iMac.

Also, can’t you design these things so it’s obvious that it’s ON? When it stops drawing I try to check to see if it’s ON, or I have somehow turned it off. Impossible to tell. I press the lower button and sometimes get no light. Press it again, no light. Press it again, maybe a light. It’s ridiculous that there can’t be a light that stays on so you know you have the thing on. I don’t understand industrial design of so many devices where you are just guessing all the time. I am ready to trade the whole bit for an Apple pencil and Pro.

Are you using USB or wifi connection? What is the year of your iMac? And which Mac OS is in use?
What stylus brand and model are you using?

Please explain more details on:
“Also, can’t you design these things so it’s obvious that it’s ON? When it stops drawing I try to check to see if it’s ON, or I have somehow turned it off. Impossible to tell. I press the lower button and sometimes get no light. Press it again, no light. Press it again, maybe a light.”

Is this relating to a stylus, or something else?

Malyse, thanks for your response and excuse my last question—I
was getting frustrated and it indeed doesn’t have anything to do
with Astropad.

So, I have an iMac late 2012, using OS 10.13.3 (High Sierra). I

am going to be adding to the RAM today from 8 to 16MB. I am using
my WiFi connection which is pretty consistently good.

I am using an Adonit Pixel stylus (not the Pro). I just bought it

a few months ago, so it is new.

Thanks,

Marcia

Hi Marcia,

If you try the Pixel with other iPad apps does it have the same performance?
In Astropad, this stylus was paired under the Adonit logo?

On your iPad, try turning off and back on bluetooth. Sometimes that restarts connection.
Also, try turning off bluetooth on your Mac, if it is enabled. Sometimes the signal conflicts.

Re-syncing the stylus can help reestablish connection.
On your Mac, go to Astropad’s Preferences, and click the “Stylus” tab.
At the bottom of the window, click “Remove stylus”. Then try pairing on your iPad again.

If it happens too often, to the point it interferes with use, we would recommend contacting Adonit support.

Trading in for the Apple Pencil and iPad Pro really is your best option. Maybe I missed it, but are you using the regular Astropad or Astropad Studio? Astropad Studio is very expensive now – it costs more per month than Photoshop alone – but it is a much more stable and reliable app.