Apple Pencil Pressure Sensitivity and Brush Opacity in Photoshop CC

Hi all,

I appreciate there are a couple of discussions around general pressure sensitivity curves and profiles, but my issue is related specifically to Photoshop CC and the Apple Pencil. Many users have complained that they have to press too hard to achieve a 100% mark, but my problem is the exact opposite. No matter how lightly I press, the lowest opacity I can achieve is about 20%.

Using the default Photoshop brushes as an example, in the Brush Palette, the ‘Transfer’ setting is set to be controlled by Pen Pressure with a minimum of 0%:

That should mean that I can achieve opacities in the range of 0-100% dependent on pressure, right?

Am I missing something obvious?

Is “Always use Pressure for Opacity” enabled?
How does it look if you set Flow Jitter to 100% and its Control to Pen Pressure as well?

Something to try if that doesn’t make any difference-
With the Mac app, hold the Option/alt key when opening Astropad’s Preferences.
A Debug tab will show in the window; select that and deselect “Use Adjusted Pressure Curve”.

On the iPad Pro Notes app, we are able to draw things using the Apple Pencil as if we were drawing on paper. In other words, when I draw hard the lines get dark and when I draw lightly the lines are light. I can even shade from dark to light without changing brushes or brush settings in Notes. Can this be applied to Photoshop via Astropad on the iPad Pro? I believe this will free up frustration and confusion for me and others.

@dillard1024 Not all programs automatically turn on or set a pressure sensitivity range for
brush settings. These usually have to be manually enabled or edited for user preference.

Pen pressure can be utilized in Photoshop with Astropad; but it can’t automatically adjust all pen pressure
setting for individual brushes like Notes, since we’re working with both the Mac and Photoshop system as well, not just iPad.

Thanks for the correspondence and I absolutely love the Astropad app! You stated that the Astropad “can’t automatically adjust all pen pressure settings for individual brushes like Notes”… Well do you think you guys could make it happen? I want to work smart, not hard. I am an art teacher that likes to show his students what can be done with technology in the arts. I eventually would like to use iPads and Astropad to facilitate that adventure.

Thanks for the correspondence and I absolutely love the Astropad app! You stated that the Astropad “can’t automatically adjust all pen pressure settings for individual brushes like Notes”… Well do you think you guys could make it happen? I want to work smart, not hard. I am an art teacher that likes to show his students what can be done with technology in the arts. I eventually would like to use iPads and Astropad to facilitate that adventure.

@dillard1024 Not every Astropad user are working with the same programs, and not every program requires the same settings. We try to better accommodate this in Astropad Studio, with customizable pressure curves.

It definitely would be nice to one day have the ability to better control initial settings in different programs.

But again, automatically adjusting all pen pressure settings, for each individual brush in a program,
and take in account each different programs would be a difficult task. Especially, since each individual user’s setup is different, including brushes and need for pressure sensitivity.

Sorry to resurrect an older post, but as I’ve been having issues with my pen pressure in both Photoshop CC and Clip Studio Paint, I thought I might ask–

Is it possible to create user setting presets per app that we use?

When I adjust the pressure curve in Clip Studio Paint to something close to workable – then switch to Photoshop, the pressure curve setting is way too soft and I get fat and dull lines rather than nice, crisp tapers.

If I could save the settings per Photoshop and CSP, I wouldn’t have to manually shift it every time I switch programs – which is pretty often.

Just a thought?

@kyubikitsy At the moment it’s not possible, but it is a feature we are working on for Astropad Studio.
We agree this is needed, especially for different programs in use.
Let us know if you have more feedback or questions.

For CSP under tablet settings, what number do you normally set to?
Also, do you use Raw input for precision or a different setting?
This will help use, as we work on this feature.

We appreciate your patience!

Hi-

For CSP, I currently have it set to RAW as the update specified. The attachments show the pressure settings I have for CSP as well as astropad to get controlled lines.

When I work in Photoshop, I have to change it to “hard” so my lines aren’t too fat and blobby.

I occasionally have trouble with the starting point blobbing — it doesn’t happen all the time, but it’s noticeable.

Thanks,
Audra

Audra Furuichi
Enjoy Every Day!