A subscription for $80 a year?

Why, pray tell, should I pay an annual $80 subscription to use this app? Why not just a one time fee for a license? Seems a bit steep relative to other iPad apps but if it works as it should, it might be worth it, but a monthly or annual subscription? I do understand that updates and support blah, blah but really, $80 a year? That’s really hard to swallow.

Because Studio is good stuff! I’ve been using it since February and I love it.
If you don’t like the idea of subscribing, buy Standard-- you’d wouldn’t get all the accoutrements but, hey, Standard is good too.

It is worth it IF it works perfectly.

I have found for example in ZB that every tenth or sometimes 20th stroke I make comes in super blobby as if for that second the pressure sensitivity was almost doubled :frowning:

On the bright side I am very impressed that even over Wifi the pixelation is really minimal. Very cool. The app itself is super slick and the UI well thought out.

Clearly, the standard version is a paid demo for the Studio version. I’ve been looking long and hard at this app since I got my iPad Pro over a month ago. The biggest reason that I’ve been extremely reluctant to buy it is this subscription model. I did consider the standard version but after carefully looking at a comparison between the two versions, it’s obvious that after having used the standard version, one would clearly want to upgrade to the studio version. That wouldn’t be as troubling is there was some sort of credit or refund once I’ve upgraded but there isn’t so essentially I would have paid $30 to demo this product. For now, there is really nothing else available which would enable me to use my iPad as a tablet. Duet doesn’t even come close so this is it but I’m just not willing to shell out $80 per annum for it. I’ll continue to use my Wacom. That’s paid for and Wacom doesn’t continually milk me for using it.

I know how you feel. 80 is a lot! I guess it is the chicken and egg thing: Price it too high and not enough will get interested - price it too low and you won’t have enough funding to carry on the RnD necessary to make the product more attractive and hence you will have even fewer customers. I would be interested to know how many Astropad Studio subscribers there are. I hope a lot since it is a great tool.

I’ve been using Astropad Studio for a while now and I really love it. IMHO, $80/year is less than what I spend on coffee, and it’s absolutely worth it considering the features and freedom it offers me. I have totally retired my Wacom in favour of Astropad Studio and my iPad Pro 12.9" w Apple Pencil.

I subscribe to Adobe CC, Basecamp, Xero. I also subscribe to cable TV, broadband, telco, water/electricity, etc etc. I don’t see a big problem with subscription services vs paid apps. At the end of the day we don’t own any of it either way. If something is a necessity, or adds value to my work/life, then it’s worth the investment.

I understand the reason for the subscription model, but it is always bound to frustrate and alienate a broad spectrum of your userbase, myself included. I was using Astropad for a while but stopped when its limitations became overwhelming. I just came back in to see the state of things and only just now learned about Studio. I’ve gone through several of the forums discussing the subscription, and then looked at the studio “leaders” and noticed that not one of them contributed or even addressed user concerns regarding this model. I find that disconcerting, as people do have some legitimate gripes, particularly those who came on board early and paid for an app they thought would be supported and enhanced. At the very least Astropad should have offered an early adoption discount or something to offset their cultural shift. You don’t win allies this way.

I came onboard late but must agree a sort of discount for early adoption astropad standard users would have been a good idea / compromise. Apart from that I love the app and eagerly await further updates (hopefully porting it to windows doesn’t eat up all their resources)

I, too, pretty much gave up on it for these reasons, and am saving the money to put towards a larger Wacom.
The Standard is pretty much abandoned, and I have other things to pay for besides the convenience of a mobile digital drawing pad.
I’m only here at this moment to see what “Luna” is.
So far as I know, it’s a hardware, it’s got a cat logo, and they want my money, and I see how that went last time.
If they want to be funded, I think it might work better for them to go into some explanation as why a person should invest in their idea, and not use motion picture teaser trailer methods.

Bought Astropad back when there was only one version, gave it a try, felt sluggish and had lots of artifacts, gave up on it and had buyer’s remorse. Not soon after they release Studio ver. claiming it have even better response while being literally the same app with just features withheld from the original standard Astropad. Maybe now Astropad Studio performs as what I expected back when I bought the standard, but I’ll never know, since there is no way I will pay subscription on top of the high 30 dollar price-tag.

It performs awesome, there is a month or 7 days trial before you pay any cent, so you can try it and cancel the charge before it happens and know how well performs compared with the past version of astropad, because now the standard performs so much better.

You don’t subscribe to water and electricity. Those are tangible things that you can store and keep for as long as you want (5gallon bucket or rechargeable battery). They are also based on your usage, don’t use any electricity or water that month, then your bill is $0 or close to it.